Eminence, Kentucky is a small town located in Henry County, approximately 40 miles northeast of Louisville. The population of the town is 1,395 people, according to the 2010 census. The geography of Eminence consists of rolling hills and valleys with a mix of farmland and wooded areas. Summers are hot and humid while winters are cold with occasional snowfalls.
The history of Eminence dates back to the early 19th century when it was first settled by members of the Shaker religious sect. In 1845, the city was officially incorporated and named after its founder, James Eminence. In recent years, politics in Eminence have been dominated by conservative values and Republican candidates have traditionally won local elections by wide margins.
The economy in Eminence is based primarily on agriculture with dairy farming being a major source of local employment. There are also several small businesses in town such as restaurants, shops, and service providers that provide additional employment opportunities for residents. Additionally, many people commute to Louisville for work each day.
Eminence has two schools: Eminence Independent Schools which serves elementary through high school students; and Henry County High School which serves students from 9th to 12th grade from both Eminence as well as neighboring townships in Henry County. Both schools offer a variety of academic programs including music, art and physical education classes as well as career-oriented courses such as welding and automotive technology that prepare students for college or technical training after graduation.
Finally, there are several landmarks in Eminence that make it unique including the historic Shaker Village at South Union where you can tour buildings dating back to 1807; Raven Run Nature Sanctuary which offers 734 acres of hiking trails through woodlands; and Big Spring Park which features a large spring-fed lake perfect for fishing or swimming on hot summer days.
Population: 2,231. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,257 (+1.2% change)
Males: 1,051 (47.1%), Females: 1,180 (52.9%)
Zip code: 40019
Median resident age: 36.4 years
Median household income: $30,323
Median house value: $75,200
Races in Eminence:
- White Non-Hispanic (81.8%)
- Black (11.7%)
- Hispanic (3.8%)
- Other race (2.1%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (18.3%), Irish (14.1%), German (9.5%), English (6.3%), Scottish (2.2%), French (2.0%).
Elevation: 939 feet
Land area: 2.1 square miles
Eminence, Kentucky is a small rural town located in Henry County. It has a population of just over 1,000 people and is known for its beautiful rolling hills and forests. The median household income in Eminence is around $33,000 annually which is lower than the national average. The cost of living in Eminence is also lower than the national average, with housing costs being particularly affordable. Home values range from $50,000 to $200,000 depending on the size and condition of the property. Renters can find one-bedroom apartments for as low as $450 per month while larger homes may rent for around $700 per month. Local amenities such as grocery stores and restaurants are relatively inexpensive and there are several churches in the area that offer activities to residents at no cost. Despite its small size, Eminence has much to offer residents looking for a peaceful and affordable place to call home.
For population 25 years and over in Eminence
- High school or higher: 67.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Eminence city
- Never married: 23.4%
- Now married: 48.9%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 8.4%
- Divorced: 16.3%
3.0% Foreign born (2.7% Latin America, 0.4% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +113 (+5.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Eminence:
- JEWISH HOSPITAL SHELBYVILLE (about 12 miles; SHELBYVILLE, KY)
- BAPTIST HOSPITAL NORTHEAST (about 15 miles; LA GRANGE, KY)
- CARROLL COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; CARROLLTON, KY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Eminence:
- LOUISVILLE INTL-STANDIFORD FIELD (about 41 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Abbreviation: SDF)
- BLUE GRASS (about 47 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Abbreviation: LEX)
- CINCINNATI/NORTHERN KENTUCKY INTERNATIONAL (about 59 miles; COVINGTON/CINCINNATI, OH, KY; Abbreviation: CVG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Eminence:
- ROBINSON (about 22 miles; VEVAY, IN; Abbreviation: 8I1)
- CAPITAL CITY (about 24 miles; FRANKFORT, KY; Abbreviation: FFT)
- LEE BOTTOM (about 25 miles; HANOVER, IN; Abbreviation: 64I)
Colleges and Universities
According to educationvv, Kentucky is home to the following higher educational institutes:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Eminence:
- SULLIVAN UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,342)
- BELLARMINE UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,030)
- UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE (about 37 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 15,514)
- JEFFERSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 41 miles; LOUISVILLE, KY; Full-time enrollment: 5,290)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-SOUTHEAST (about 45 miles; NEW ALBANY, IN; Full-time enrollment: 4,355)
- UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY (about 53 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Full-time enrollment: 20,492)
- LEXINGTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 53 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Full-time enrollment: 5,437)
Public primary/middle schools in Eminence:
- EMINENCE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 340; Location: 254 W BROADWAY; Grades: 05 – 12)
- EMINENCE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 233; Location: 254 W BROADWAY; Grades: PK – 04)
Library in Eminence:
- HENRY COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $260,346; Location: 172 EMINENCE TERRACE; 31,281 books; 385 audio materials; 314 video materials; 78 serial subscriptions)