The small town of Toila is located on the shores of the Gulf of Finland, near the Pühajõgi River, which means “holy river” in Estonian. The city is famous primarily for its sanatoriums and spa hotels, where Estonians themselves like to come for relaxation and a relaxing holiday.
Apart from relaxing in the spas and enjoying nature, there is not much to do here. The main city attraction is Oru Park, built by the merchant Grigory Eliseev from St. Petersburg, and 10 km away is the Ontika Reserve with the Valaste waterfall, the highest in the Baltic. See andyeducation.com for education and training in Estonia.
How to get there
Presto OU organizes a connection to Toila from St. Petersburg with stops in Narva, Sillamäe and a change in Jõhvi. The fare to Toila is 2175 RUB one way.
Beaches of Toila
The beach is located on the coast of the Gulf of Finland at the mouth of the Pyhajõgi River. It is a narrow strip of sand and a mound of stones. In summer, Sadamakõrts Inn is open on the beach.
Toila thermal baths, decorated in the ancient Roman style, are popular among tourists.
Spa and treatment
A popular place for tourists are the famous Toila Baths, decorated in the ancient Roman style and equipped with salt, steam and infrared baths, a swimming pool, massage rooms, etc. The baths are open for visitors: Monday from 16:00 to 22:00, from Tuesday to Sunday – from 10:00 to 22:00. Subscription price: thermal baths – 8-12 EUR depending on the time of visit, swimming pool – 5-8 EUR.
Entertainment and attractions in Toila
Grigory Eliseev, the creator of Oru Park and the majestic palace attached to it (1897-1901), was one of the richest merchants in Russia in the 19th century. In 1934-1940, Oru Summer Palace served as the residence of the President of Estonia, Konstantin Päts. During the Second World War, the palace was completely destroyed; elegant park landscapes, the Swallow’s Nest gazebo and well-groomed paths have survived to this day. More than 250 species of trees and shrubs grow in the park, including many silver poplars and maples, three fountains, the Nõyametsa (Witch Forest) pavilion have been restored, and a singing stage is located in the western part of the park. The park is open to visitors 24/7 and admission is free.
The observation tower of the Toila Gymnasium (Pühajoe küla, Toila vald, tel.: +3723-369-642) is located in the former water tower of the Oru Castle. The tower offers beautiful views of Tytarlased, Sillamae, Ust-Narva, the village of Pyuhayye and the Ontika cliff (ledge). In the tower you can get acquainted with materials related to the history and culture of the region, with natural exhibits from the collection of the school museum and local collectors. Entrance 1 EUR.
In the vicinity of the resort are the town of Jõhvi, the Saka observation tower, the Ontika Clint, the Valaste and Aluoja waterfalls, as well as the Varivara (Vaivara) hiking trail.
Glint Ontika is the highest part of the Baltic-Ladoga ledge, stretching for 1100-1200 km from the Swedish island of Eland through the islands and the mainland of Estonia, the Leningrad region and to Lake Ladoga. According to one version, the glint is the shore of an ancient sea, which was formed about 11,000 years ago as a result of a glacier descent. Ontika in some places reaches a height of 56 meters and is declared a national reserve. The best view of it opens from the observation deck equipped on the Valaste waterfall (30 m), which is considered the highest in Estonia and in all the Baltic countries.
The hiking trail starts in Toila and runs along the seashore. During the walk you can get acquainted with the nature of the Baltic Glint and the local culture. The trail itself can be walked along one of two paths – a short one, 3.2 km long, or a long one.
Another spectacular place is the spring Aluoja waterfall, formed by a stream that flows into the Pühajõgi River. The stream has created a small canyon with a flagstone bottom, sinkholes and springs. Not far from the waterfall in the village of Pühajõe there is a church built in 1838; in 1989 it was restored.
In the village of Kukruse, you can visit the recently restored manor (estate), the first mention of which dates back to 1453, when it still belonged to Fromhold Lode. Since 1762, the estate was owned by the von Tollei noble family, and since 2004, the entire estate complex has become the property of the Kohtla parish. One of the oldest buildings on the estate is the manor house built in 1760. Now you can visit the manor itself, ride a dog sled and take lessons in writing in the Gothic script. In addition, a small museum has been set up there, where you can get acquainted with the von Tolley family tree, the history of expeditions in search of the Sannikov land, and the role of the Baltic Germans in the Estonian community.
The estate is open from October to April: Tue. – Fri. 10:00-17:00, Sat. 10:00-16:00, from May to September: Tue. – Sun. 10:00-18:00, entry fee 4.5 EUR.
In addition, there is a slate museum in Kukruz, the exposition of which is dedicated to the history of its discovery, extraction and use. This museum is one of a kind, despite the fact that the mineral itself is found in 80 countries.
Not far from Toila is Estonia’s largest national park, Lahemaa Park, home to numerous species of animals, birds and plants, including bears, wolves, lynxes, as well as white swans and other migratory waterfowl. In addition, the only open-air museum of geology in Estonia is located on the territory of the park.
A 30-minute drive from Toila in the village of Vasavere is the Alutaguse Sports and Leisure Center – an adventure park with five trails of varying difficulty, a tubing mountain and conditions for bungee jumping. The park is open all year round from Tuesday to Friday from 14:00 to 19:00, on weekends and holidays from 11:00 to 18:00, on other days by prior reservation. Cost of visiting: trails – 12-14 EUR (depending on the day of the week), tubing – 7 EUR.